Below are a few selected readings grouped by category and ranked in order from oldest to newest publication. These categories are:
- Introduction to Sociology
- Sociology of Gender
- Masculinity Studies
- Men’s Movements
- Marxist Sociology
- Sociology of Race
- Social Movements
- Classical Sociology Texts
- Other Readings
Click one of the links above to go to the relevant section.
Note: In cases of English translations, the date of publication in brackets refers to the first publication in their native language and are therefore ranked in accordance with that date. The same is true of reprints by a different publisher.
This section is a work in progress. I will continue adding links to .pdfs or .epubs. If you have suggestions or comments, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Introduction to Sociology
- Calhoun, Craig, Joseph Gerteis, James Moody, Steven Pfaff, and Indermohan Virk, eds. 2002. Contemporary Sociological Theory, 3rd ed.
- Calhoun, Craig, Joseph Gerteis, James Moody, Steven Pfaff, and Indermohan Virk, eds. 2007. Classical Sociological Theory, 3rd ed.
- Dillon, Michele. 2014. Introduction to Sociological Theory: Theorists, Concepts, and Their Applicability to the Twenty-First Century, 2nd ed. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Wright, Erik Olin and Joel Rogers. 2015. American Society: How It Really Works, 2nd ed. New York: W. W. Norton & Co.
Sociology of Gender
- West, Candace and Don H. Zimmerman. 1987. “Doing Gender.” Gender & Society 1(2): 125–151.
- Smith, Dorothy E. 1987. The Everyday World as Problematic: A Feminist Sociology. Boston: Northeastern University Press.
- Butler, Judith.  2006. Gender Trouble: Feminism and the Subversion of Identity. New York: Routledge Classics.
- Coontz, Stephanie.  2000. American Families and the Nostalgia Trap. Basic Books.
- Messner, Michael A. 2002. Taking the Field: Women, Men, and Sports.
- Chafetz, Janet Saltzman, ed. 2006. Handbook of the Sociology of Gender. New York: Springer.
- Ridgeway, Cecilia L. 2011. Framed by Gender: How Gender Inequality Persists in the Modern World. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Messerschmidt, James W., Patricia Yancey Martin, Michael A. Messner, and Raewyn Connell, eds. 2018. Gender Reckonings: New Social Theory and Research. New York: New York University Press.
- Carrigan, Tim, R. W. Connell, and John Lee. 1985. “Toward a New Sociology of Masculinity.” Theory and Society 14(5): 551–604.
- Brod, Harry A. 1987. The Making of Masculinities: The New Men’s Studies. London: Routledge.
- Kaufman 1987 The Construction of Masculinity and the Triad of Men’s Violence.
- Connell, R. W.  2005. Masculinities, 2nd ed. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Connell, R. W. 2000. The Men and the Boys. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
- Murphy (ed.) 2004 Feminism and Masculinities
- Messner 2004 On Patriarchs and Losers – Rethinking Men’s Interests
- Connell and Messerschmidt 2005 Hegemonic Masculinity – Rethinking the Concept
- Ducat 2005 The Wimp Factor – Gender Gaps, Holy Wars, and the Politics of Anxious Masculinity
- Pascoe, C. J. 2007. Dude, You’re a Fag: Masculinity and Sexuality in High School. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Segal 2007 Slow Motion – Changing Masculinities, Changing Men
- Kimmel, Michael S. 2008. Guyland: The Perilous World Where Boys Become Men. New York: HarperCollins Publishers.
- Kimmel, Michael S. 2013. Angry White Men: American Masculinity at the End of an Era. New York: Nation Books.
- Pascoe, C. J. and Tristan Bridges, eds. 2015. Exploring Masculinities: Identity, Inequality, Continuity, and Change. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Messerschmidt, James W. 2018. Hegemonic Masculinity: Formulation, Reformulation, and Amplification. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield.
Men’s rights movements, father’s rights movements, pick-up artistry, the seduction community, mythopoetic men’s movements, and the Promise Keepers movement
- Bertoia and Drakich 1993 The Fathers’ Rights Movement – Contradictions in Rhetoric and Practice.
- Williams and Williams 1995 All We Want is Equality – Rhetorical Framing in the Fathers’ Rights Movement.
- Messner, Michael A. 1998. “The Limits of “The Male Sex Role”: An Analysis of the Men’s Liberation and Men’s Rights Movements’ Discourse.” Gender & Society 12(3): 255-276.
- Eldén, Sara. 2002. “Gender politics in conservative men’s movements: Beyond complexity, ambiguity and pragmatism.” Nora: Nordic Journal of Women’s Studies 10(1): 38-48.
- Heath, Melanie. 2003. “Soft-Boiled Masculinity: Renegotiating Gender and Racial Ideologies in the Promise Keepers Movement.” Gender & Society 17(3): 423–444.
- Schuurmans, Jitse and Lee F. Monaghan. 2015. ” The Casanova-Myth: Legend and Anxiety in the Seduction Community.” Sociological Research Online 20(1).
- Flood, Michael. Backlash: Angry men’s movements.
- Messner MA (2016) Forks in the Road of men’s gender politics: Men’s rights vs feminist allies. International Journal for Crime, Justice and Social Democracy 5(2): 6‐20. DOI: 10.5204/ijcjsd.v5i2.301.
- Mellström, Ulf. 2016. “In the Time of Masculinist Political Revival. ” NORMA: International Journal for Masculinity Studies. 11(3): 135-138. DOI: 10.1080/18902138.2016.1224536
- Ging 2017 Alphas, Betas, and Incels – Theorizing the Masculinities of the Manosphere
- Almog, Ran and Danny Kaplan. 2017. “The Nerd and His Discontent: The Seduction Community and the Logic of the Game as a Geeky Solution to the Challenges of Young Masculinity.” Men and Masculinities 20(1): 27-48.
- Vito, Christopher, Amanda Admire, Elizabeth Hughes. 2018. “Masculinity, Aggrieved Entitlement, and Violence: Considering the Isla Vista Mass Shooting.” NORMA 13(2): 86-102. DOI: 10.1080/18902138.2017.1390658
- O’Neill, Rachel. 2018. Seduction: Men, Masculinity and Mediated Intimacy. Cambridge: Polity Press.
- Lukács, Georg. 1971. History and Class Consciousness: Studies in Marxist Dialectics. Translated by Rodney Livingstone. London: Merlin Press.
- Balibar, Etienne.  1995. The Philosophy of Marx. Translated by Chris Turner. London: Verso.
- Harvey, David. 2010. The Enigma of Capital and the Crises of Capitalism. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Manza, Jeff and Michael A. McCarthy. 2011. “The Neo-Marxist Legacy in American Sociology.” Annual Review of Sociology 37: 155-183.
- Harvey, David. 2014. Seventeen Contradictions and the End of Capitalism. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Wright, Erik Olin. 2015. Understanding Class. London: Verso.
- Bhattacharya, Tithi, ed. 2017. Social Reproduction Theory: Remapping Class, Recentering Oppression. London: Pluto Press.
Sociology of Race
- Fanon, Frantz.  1986. Black Skin, White Masks. Translated by Charles Lam Markmann. London: Pluto Press.
- Sakai, J. 1989. Settlers: The Mythology of the White Proletariat. Chicago: Morningstar Press.
- Bonilla-Silva. Racism without Racists: Color-Blind Racism and the Persistence of Racial Inequality in the United States, 2nd ed. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc.
- Amin, Samir.  1976. Unequal Development: An Essay on the Social Formations of Peripheral Capitalism. Translated by Brian Pearce. Sussex, Englad: The Harvester Press.
- Wallerstein, Immanuel. 1976. The Modern World-System: Capitalist Agriculture and the Origins of the European World-Economy in the Sixteenth Century. New York: Academic Press.
- Harvey, David. 2005. A Brief History of Neoliberalism. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Smith, John. 2016. Imperialism in the Twenty-First Century: Globalization, Super-Exploitation, and Capitalism’s Final Crisis. New York: Monthly Review Press.
- Snow, David A. and Robert D. Benford. 1988. “Ideology, Frame Resonance, and Participant Mobilization.” International Social Movement Research 1: 197-217.
- Snow and Benford 1992 Master Frames and Cycles of Protest.
- Johnston, Hank and Bert Klandermans, eds. 1995. Social Movements and Culture. Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota Press.
- McAdam, Doug, John D. McCarthy, and Mayer N. Zald 1996. Comparative Perspectives on Social Movements: Political Opportunities, Mobilizing Structures, and Cultural Framings. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Benford, Robert D. and David A. Snow. 2000. “Framing Processes and Social Movements: An Overview and Assessment.” Annual Review of Sociology 26: 611-639.
- McAdam, Doug, Sidney Tarrow, and Charles Tilly.  2004. Dynamics of Contention. Cambridge University Press.
- Snow, David A., Sarah A. Soule, and Hanspeter Kriesi, eds. 2004. The Blackwell Companion to Social Movements. Malden, MA: Blackwell.
- Klandermans, Bert and Cony Roggeband, eds. 2010. Handbook of Social Movements Across Disciplines, 1st ed. Springer.
- Jasper, James M. 2011. “Emotions and Social Movements: Twenty Years of Theory and Research.” Annual Review of Sociology 37: 14–19.
- Roggeband, Cony and Bert Klandermans, eds. 2017. Handbook of Social Movements Across Disciplines, 2nd ed. Springer.
Classical Sociology Texts
Ranked in order from original publication (i.e., ,  etc.).
- Goffman, Erving. 1956. The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life.
- Berger, Peter L. and Thomas Luckmann. 1966. The Social Construction of Reality: A Treatise in the Sociology of Knowledge. London: Penguin Books.
- Foucault, Michel.  1978. The History of Sexuality, vol. I, An Introduction. Translated by Robert Hurley. New York: Pantheon Books.
- Foucault, Michel.  1991. Discipline and Punish: The Birth of the Prison. Translated by Alan Sheridan. New York: Vintage Books.
- Bourdieu, Pierre and Jean-Claude Passeron.  1990. Reproduction in Education, Society and Culture. Translated by Richard Nice. London: Sage Publications.
- Said, Edward W.  2003. Orientalism, 25th anniversary ed. New York: Vintage Books.
- Haywood, Harry. 1978. Black Bolshevik: Autobiography of an Afro-American Communist. Chicago: Liberator Press.